Greece Holidays – Unique Mediterranean romance
Intense glistening light, traditional white houses and the deepest of blue seas gives Greece a unique beauty. The islands offer an incredibly diverse choice of resorts appealing to all ages and every holiday style. You will find wonderfully romantic holiday locations on the smaller islands and tremendous variety on UK favourites like Corfu and Crete. Greece excels when it comes to simple charm and friendly hospitality. Accommodation ranges from low-cost self-catering studios to luxury all-inclusive resorts. Beautifully clean beaches offer idyllic conditions for relaxed swimming and quiet sunbathing. Scenic mainland regions like Pelion and Halkidiki have superb beaches, gorgeous countryside, pretty villages and accommodation options with great charm and character. Greece offers excellent value for money and a truly memorable holiday experience.
When to go to Greece
Greece is blissfully relaxing in early and late season. You can expect lots of warm sunshine and very quiet beaches. Spring is when Greece is at its scenic best. You will also find a very peaceful atmosphere as summer runs into early autumn. Popular resorts on the larger islands remain attractive in low season. For lively Greece holidays with plenty of nightlife it has to be July or August. Resorts are much quieter in June and September. Avoid peak summer heat if you are planning an active holiday or hope to do some walking and touring.
The weather in Greece
Holiday weather does not get much better than this. You can expect day after day of hot sunshine throughout the long summer season. Summer daytime temperatures are usually around 30º but it can get hotter still in July and August. Summer evenings are romantically warm. Spring is an absolute delight. Temperatures are in the low 20’s as early as April. This is a wonderful time for those who like to get out and walk. The sea remains beautifully warm well into late summer, and sunbathing weather typically continues into early autumn. Winter sees lots of sunshine but temperatures drop sharply as the sun goes down.
Getting the best deal to Greece
You should find cheap package holidays to Greece at any time of year but the very cheapest deals are usually found outside the summer school holidays. The livelier resorts tend to have some of the cheapest deals. Both Corfu and Crete offer plenty of budget options. June and September should be cheaper than July and August. An early holiday search will ensure a better choice of accommodation in every price bracket. Look out for amazingly cheap holidays to Greece in early and late season. Sign up for our email newsletter and keep an eye on our current best deals and last-minute holiday offers.
Travel preparations for a holiday to Greece
Here are some additional useful tips to help you plan your holiday to Greece:
- The time in Greece is 2 hours ahead of the UK.
- Average flight time from the UK to Greece is 4 hours.
- The local currency is the Euro.
- The official local language is Greek. Basic English is widely understood in hotels and restaurants. Most menus have English translations.
- Eating out is inexpensive. It is often cheaper to eat out at lunchtime than the evening. You can eat cheaply by sampling typical street snacks like souvlaki. Drinks are reasonably priced and most bars open until very late. Prices vary considerably from island to island, with obviously upmarket islands like Santorini being more expensive than budget holiday favourites like Kos.
- Vegetarians have plenty of options in a typical Greek taverna. Salads are excellent. You can also find wonderful cheese pies and tasty picnic snacks at a typical Greek bakery or corner store.
- The Greeks eat much later than us. Locals typical dine at 10pm but resorts cater to British tastes and habits.
- Holidays to Greece do not require visas or vaccinations.
More useful information
- For official Greece tourist information click here - Visit Greece
- The FCO occasionally release travel advisory warnings for Greece. Check the latest on the Foreign Travel Advice website.
View Greece in a larger map
Cheap holiday deals to Greece
This place is spot on if you like your holidays action-packed. It’s a five-minute walk from Kavos’ neon-lit strip, so you’ve got bars, clubs and restaurants close by. Plus, it’s even less than that to the beach, where you’ll find plenty of watersports on offer