Cyprus – a richly rewarding island
This famously friendly Mediterranean destination has terrific sandy beaches, beautiful mountain scenery and reliably hot beach holiday weather. Resorts offer tremendous variety and cater to all ages and holiday styles. Towns like Larnaca and Limassol have excellent beaches and genuine Cypriot character. There is terrific walking in the Troodos Mountains and traditional village charm in resorts like Omodhos and Peyia.
Classic family resorts like Protaras and Pissouri Bay offer a relaxing holiday atmosphere and great value for money. The harbour town of Paphos has lively nightlife and fascinating ancient sites. North Cyprus resorts like Famagusta feature atmospheric old towns with considerable historical interest. Our Cyprus holidays include everything from cheap self-catering to 5 star all-inclusive.
When to go
July and August sees resorts at their liveliest. June and September have equally hot weather but you will find a lot more space on the popular beaches. Cyprus resorts have a particularly relaxing atmosphere as summer runs into autumn. September sees enjoyable wine festivals throughout the island. Towns like Limassol and Larnaca are less dependent on tourists and remain enjoyably lively throughout the low season.
If you prefer a more active holiday we recommend spring. Most British walkers will find summer temperatures too hot for anything very strenuous. The scenic island interior is at its best in early spring, when fruit trees are in blossom and the mountains are lush and green.
The weather in Cyprus
Holidays between June and September can expect non-stop sunshine. Bear in mind that Cyprus is one of the hottest Mediterranean destinations. Average summer highs are well into the 30’s and may hit 40º in July and August. Summer evenings are a joy, with temperatures around 20º. Resorts in the mountains offer a slightly cooler and fresher alternative to the beach resorts.
Spring and autumn see lots of sunshine and temperatures in the 20’s. The sea remains incredibly warm in late summer and sunbathing weather typically continues well into November. Winters see plenty of sunshine and average daytime highs around 16º on the coast.
View Cyprus in a larger map
Getting the best deal
The cheapest package holidays to Cyprus are found in larger resorts like Protaras and Ayia Napa. The all-inclusive holiday concept is well established and offers excellent value for money. Avoiding the summer school holidays will always save money. June and September should be cheaper than July and August.
Search early for the widest choice of accommodation options. We regularly offer discounts. for early bookers. There are terrific bargains to be had in autumn. Our late deals frequently feature resorts in Cyprus. Sign up for our email newsletter and keep an eye on our regularly updated best deals.
Travel preparations for a holiday to Cyprus
Here are some additional useful tips to help you plan your holiday to Cyprus:
- The time in Cyprus is 2 hours ahead of the UK.
- Average flight time from the UK to Cyprus is 4-5 hours.
- The local currency is the Euro.
- The local language is Greek in Southern Cyprus and Turkish in Northern Cyprus. Basic English is widely spoken in hotels and restaurants as the British are the largest group of foreign visitors.
- Eating out is a bit more expensive than Spain but cheaper than the UK. It is usually cheaper to eat out at lunchtime than the evening. Drinks are inexpensive in the larger resorts. Bars open until very late.
- Traditional “meze” are a great way to try a variety of local specialities. Up to a dozen small dishes are served to share. Greek and Turkish food is at its best in a good family-run “taverna”. Restaurants in larger resorts offer a wide choice of international cuisine. All the main resorts have plenty of restaurants and bars catering to British tastes.
- Holidays to Cyprus do not require visas or vaccinations.
More useful information
- For official Cyprus tourist information click here - Visit Cyprus
- The FCO occasionally release travel advisory warnings for Cyprus. Check the latest on the Foreign Travel Advice website.