Our Kefalonia holidays’ expert, Kerry Christiani, has scoured the web for the inside information on the best beaches and things to do that Kefalonia has to offer. So sit back, relax – we’ve done the hard work so you don’t have to.
Your holiday time is precious and a little pre-research goes a long way. Whether you want to visit wineries and Venetian castles, tour Kefalonia in a sea kayak or on horseback, or simply laze in a sun lounger on a beautiful bay, use the experiences of other travellers to make your holiday to Kefalonia one to remember.
Best beaches according to the forums
- On the north coast, Myrtos is rated fifth out of 18 TripAdvisor attractions, with users saying things like: “Make sure to experience the spectacular views from above the high cliffs” and “Stunning beach from above and below.
- Other TripAdvisor reviews recommend Makris Gialos (ranked ninth), described as: “Just perfect – golden sand and crystal clear water”. Kaminia (rated 10th) has a “lovely big sandy beach” that is “perfect for families”, while the remote and wonderful west coast bay of Petani (rated 13th) is praised for its “crystal clear water”.
- Beach-goers sing the praises of Avithos for its “unspoilt” appeal and “good taverna” on this TripAdvisor forum thread.
- On this Fodor’s forum thread, travellers call the coastal village of Assos “wonderful” and “small and very scenic”. They also say: “Don’t miss a daytrip to Ithaca, the island is tiny and the main village is very beautiful”.
- Kefalonia Holiday Information forum users recommend Lepeda’s gently shelving bay with “great views back across towards Dilinata” and Agia Sofia, which is “quiet and gorgeous” and has “spectacular views across to Ithaca”.
Best cultural things to do
- A wander among the ruins of the Venetian St George’s Castle (fourth highest rated attraction on TripAdvisor) affords “fantastic views across the island”. Pop into the coffee shop, which is “great for a cooling drink and bite to eat”.
- A tour and tasting at the Robola Winery (seventh highest rated TripAdvisor attraction) is highly recommended, with one holidaymaker saying: “The visit will take you from the beginning to the end of the winemaking, all of which is extremely interesting”.
- “This is really a natural treasure,” says one TripAdvisor reviewer about Melissani Cave (11th best attraction). “The sunlight hitting the water and mist which is hovering over the water is mesmeric”. “Go before midday to avoid queues and to see the water at its best,” suggests another.
- Archaeology enthusiasts should check out Sami Acropolis (12th highest rated TripAdvisor attraction), with visitors saying: “The view is amazing and you can start to get a sense of the history of the island” and “Your only company will probably be about 1000 burly goats who graze the hills”.
- A popular local pilgrimage site, the Monastery of Agios Gerasimos (ranked eighth highest attraction) is named after a hermit saint. TripAdvisor users say: “The fresco paintings inside were spectacular” and “the views are beautiful”.
Best activities and day trips
- The number one Kefalonia attraction according to TripAdvisor reviewers is sea kayaking, taking in the island’s hidden coves, caves and jewel-like waters. Enthusiastic reviewers say: “Great fun, don’t miss it!” and “Unforgettable experience – water adventure in a beautiful place”.
- TripAdvisor’s second highest ranking attraction is Captain Vangeli’s Special Cruises, with trips to the postcard-perfect fishing village of Fiskardo and the neighbouring island of Ithaca, described as: “Brilliant fun, friendly crew and amazing value”.
- “What a great way to spend a day! Boat trip, ancient history, snorkelling, marine biology and a great lunch,” enthuses one TripAdvisor user about Ionian Discoveries in Fiskardo (sixth highest rated attraction).
- Many others recommend the Bavarian horse riding stables in Sami (third highest rated attraction on TripAdvisor) saying things like: “Fantastic stables where the horses are extremely well cared for, and the riding and scenery is just great”. It is also recommended by a Guardian I’ve Been There Kefalonia reader, who says: “The surrounding area is perfect for exploring the nearby mountain trails and old villages”.
View larger map
Other recommended websites, forums and travel guides
- The Greeka website is packed with ideas for things to see and do and has the low-down on beaches in Kefalonia. Agni also has a round-up of the island’s beaches arranged by region, as well as some inspirational content on activities and sights.
- For more tips from the experts, check out the as reviews on the New York Times, Lonely Planet and Frommer’s online travel guides.
- See what like-minded travellers, Kefalonia locals and expats are saying on the Virtual Tourist, Holiday Truths, Holiday Watchdog and TripAdvisor forums.
What is your Best Of in Kefalonia?
Keen to share your own travel experiences with others planning a holiday in Kefalonia? You can post them in the comments below this article or on the Direct Line Holidays Facebook page at facebook.com/DirectlineHolidays where we regularly give away great prizes for the best holiday tips and advice from our customers.